Sunday 2 September 2012

July! Olympics!

The Olympics came to town, so Tom and I got up early on the first day and cycled down to Box Hill where we (and many others) watched the Men's Road Cycling zoom by. Amongst all the Union Jack flags I stood proudly with my homemade Japan flag supporting Arashiro and Beppu

 Beppu coming round the bend, leading the Breakaway

 Arashiro just behind New Zealand at the front

Wiggins and Cavendish


It should be noted that my poster was not in vain, Arashiro definitely saw it and got some cheers from the Japan car too :) They may not have won Gold but they did very well and I had a lot of fun! After they made their 9 rounds of Box Hill everyone hopped on their bikes for the nearest pubs to watch the pros roll into the Mall. 

I also managed to catch the Ladies cycle by after work, they happened to cross my cycle route home and I arrived moments before The Netherlands, Russia and GB came by (aka Gold, Silver, Bronze). I surprised myself how much I enjoyed watching the Olympics and the atmosphere it brought to London, and was quite sad when it was all over, especially as it meant the tubes and traffic went back to it's busy self. Seemed rather than being completely packed, the Olympics scared people off and London was very quiet to get around. 


No comments:

Post a Comment